Minoritarianism: Not! (was Re: Alterman and Rorty)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 26 14:22:54 PDT 1998

Jim Heartfield replies to Carrol Cox:
>I should have thought that every mass struggle was based on a
>majoritarian view. Minoritarianism is the problem, isn't it?

Oh yes, indeed. I heartily agree with that!

White male American workers are a numerical _minority_ among the US working class, not to mention the workers of the world. We can't possibly allow those wannabe 'public intellectuals' like Rorty or hack journalists like Alterman to mislead workers into thinking that the majority of the US working class are white guys and that what straight white guys have been less than enthusiastic to embrace--such issues as fight against homophobia + gender discrimination, anti-racist struggles, the menacing growth of the prison-industrial complex, the threat posed by the US military, etc.--should not be thought of as 'class issues.' You know, such a view would amount to a pernicious MINORITARIANISM, however vigorously it has been supported by certain well-paid white male intellectuals.

Yoshie