Minoritarianism: Not! (was Re: Alterman and Rorty)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue May 26 13:57:32 PDT 1998

> Jim Heartfield replies to Carrol Cox:
> >I should have thought that every mass struggle was based on a
> >majoritarian view. Minoritarianism is the problem, isn't it?

One would have thought so, but not those whose revolution is of the mind.

> Oh yes, indeed. I heartily agree with that!
>
> White male American workers are a numerical _minority_ among the
> US working
> class, not to mention the workers of the world. We can't possibly allow

Clever but still bunk.

> those wannabe 'public intellectuals' like Rorty or hack journalists like
> Alterman to mislead workers into thinking that the majority of the US
> working class are white guys and that what straight white guys have been
> less than enthusiastic to embrace--such issues as fight against homophobia
> + gender discrimination, anti-racist struggles, the menacing growth of the
> prison-industrial complex, the threat posed by the US military,

Attitudes towards gays, race, the "prison-industrial complex, and the threat posed by the US military" are general among whites, working class or not, so there's still a minoritarianism at work. Attitudes towards gender are general among males irrespective of race, so ditto.

If you think the working class is not majority non-Hispanic white (men and women), then I'd like to see your statistical source, or better, to get some of the same drugs you're taking.

> etc.--should not be thought of as 'class issues.' You know, such a view
> would amount to a pernicious MINORITARIANISM, however vigorously it has
> been supported by certain well-paid white male intellectuals.

There are no well-paid intellectuals here, white male or otherwise.

I'm doing better than Kruse, but instead of earthquakes there was a kid shot in front of my house last night, in suburbia no less.

Cheers,

MBS