dorks, again

Jon Fine jonfine at earthlink.net
Thu May 28 03:59:03 PDT 1998

Doug quoted Naomi Wolf:
> [...]
> But whatever he has suffered personally in the past, Gore should take
> heart as he 'outs' himself. We have a history of cherishing our loopy
> visionaries - after we have mocked them hard.

Um, so Jerry Brown becomes Mayor of Oakland and then succeeds in a 3rd party bid for the Presidency? (wishful. Understand: I'm not cherishing Wolf, just mocking her hard).

re: the non-dorky Presidents: I always thought Eisenhiwer was a dork. I mean, his era epitomized dorky white middle-class America.

re: height as an indicator of who will become president: James Madison was 5'4" (granted, that was 200 years ago). Pretty sure that Gerald Ford was taller than Carter, too. Say what you will about Al Gore, but he's certainly tall...tho not as tall as Bill Bradley.

re: Wellstone running or winning: he's certainly acting and talking like he's running. I can't imagine, tho, that he can raise however many hundreds of millions of dollars a decent run requires, esp. if he's behind notions to limit executive/worker pay differentials. I expect I'd vote for him if he survives to the NYC primary, but I doubt there's a human being in America, Wellstone included, who thinks he'll be the next president. Or even vice-president.

jf