FYI: Bill Gates, from riches to riches

Gary Wilson wilsong at sergievsky.cpmc.columbia.edu
Thu May 28 10:44:25 PDT 1998

Let me just say, as the writer of the article in discussion, that I did not post this (Doug said "Not if Bob Bartley sends it."). As a "lurker" who has followed LBO-LIST from the beginning, I could have sent the piece myself but I did not. I have not engaged in any of the discussions because I have no desire to open up the kind of polemics that have ruined too many discussion lists (like Spoons, as Doug mentioned).

The discussion here has been lively and interesting on its own and I've appreciated just listening.

But I do think Doug has over reacted, possibly out of good intentions. While it is true that the post obviously came from someone at Workers World (the address is a WW address), there are many at WW who are computer-active and participate in many email discussion lists. I don't see anything in this in the nature of being an out-of-line posting or any kind of unwanted spamming.

No one that I know of at Workers World has done that. But we are for an open dialog on the left, without the kind of rancor or name-calling that has characterized much so-called left debate. And that kind of discussion we do want to be a part of.

(To Michael Eisenscher I offer my apologies for a boring ending to the article. I'd agree. It was the pressure of a deadline that led me to throw that in just so that I could finish up. I will try not to be so lazy next time.)

Gary Wilson