Invention of the white race

Thu May 28 09:44:38 PDT 1998

I am not sure what I say here is correct, but it does seem that The 1924 Anti-Immigration Act was not justified by a racial eugenic ideology. Richard Herrnstein actually studied the Congressional Record and found no use of eugenic ideology to justify the closing of the borders. Rather, he argues, the overriding concern was the threat to a unified national culture. I agree with James H that conflict was thus understood in cultural/ethnic terms in the case of European immigrants. They were never racialized in the same way blacks were (subject to eugenic regulation for the genetic health of the nation and subject to miscegenation taboos and laws--limpiazar de sangre) or, for that matter, the way homosexuals and the insane were in Germany (see Michael Burleigh and Wolfgang Wipperman, The Racial State, Germany, 1933-1945. Cambridge Universit Press; Stefan Kuehl, The Nazi-American connection; Michel Foucault's lectures on state racism). These immigrants may have become white but they hadn't been racialized in the first place. The deracialization of Blacks and Chicanos has yet to be realized in my opinion (see e.g., Dorothy Roberts, Killing the Black Body. Pantheon, 1997; Rickie Lee Solinger Wake Up Little Susie: Race and Pregnancy since Roe) best, rakesh