Invention of the white race // Rakesh on eugenics

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Thu May 28 11:10:42 PDT 1998

Rakesh,

I agree with James H that conflict was thus understood
> in cultural/ethnic terms in the case of European immigrants. They were
> never racialized in the same way blacks were (subject to eugenic
> regulation for the genetic health of the nation and subject to

I'll have to reread Gould soon, but to the best of my memory he does cite specific evidence that the eugenics movement (and more particularly, racist understanding of intelligence) contributed importantly to the immigration act, and formal discussion in Congress would not necessarily be any indication one way or another.

Carrol