Invention of the white race

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Thu May 28 12:00:05 PDT 1998

I had written:

Louis P. writes:
>I disagree with this. The ruling class as a whole does not favor
>affirmative action.

I didn't say "the ruling class as a whole." I said "the big corporations," which is only the power elite of the ruling class.

The "ruling class" in my book (at least) would be the entire capitalist class. I would say that some capitalists have more weight in that class than others, with the influence of individual petty-bourgeois types shading off to zero. But individual p.b. types can get together in coalitions that are sometimes very powerful. I think the latter -- along with many corporations outside of the power elite -- are what was behind the anti-AA initiative in CA.

I'd like to read Hacker's book (though I'll never get it since I'm too busy with e-mail and what's that other activity? oh yes, work). At least according to the L.A. TIMES, big corps in CA like AA. I'm sure it's not the kind of AA that we would prefer.

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.