going nuclear

Altaf Bhimji altaf at wco.com
Thu May 28 11:23:44 PDT 1998

28 May 1998 Thursday 01 Safar 1419

Latest News

[INLINE] Below are highlights of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's speech

that was scheduled to start at 18:00 PST (13:00 GMT). Since we are

covering the speech live from Pakistan Television, we apologize in

advance for any errors.

Highlights:

* The transmission began with a recitation from the Holy Quran.

* The PM started by congratulating the nation on this historic

occasion.

* "We today took a historical step for our security."

* The PM reviewed events since the Indian nuclear test of 1974., and

Pakistan's stance on the nuclear issue. He criticized the major

powers for a discriminatory policy towards Pakistan.

* He criticized the Indian government and accused them on installing

nuclear warheads on their missiles. He also criticized the western

powers for their mute response.

* Nawaz Sharif thanked China for its support of Pakistan. He said he

understood Japanese concerns but had Japan had nuclear weapons

Hiroshima and Nagasaki would not have suffered the fate it did.

* "We must stop India from nuclear domination".

* He thanked the nation for the support without which he could not

have made this historical decision.

* HE said that today Pakistan conducted FIVE successful nuclear

tests. He did not give any technical details.

* On sanctions he said that it would not be correct to put Pakistan

under sanctions. Had India been penalized for its actions we would

not have conducted these tests. In any case, "we are ready to face

the challenge of sanctions."

* He said his government has decided to adopt simplicity in its

actions and deeds. He announced that he will vacate the PM

secretariat.

* He said this is a golden opportunity to revolutionize our future.

He expressed hope that we would come out of this crisis better

than we entered it.

* He warned that he will not allow loan defaulters and tax evaders

to escape. He asked the nation to commit itself to sacrifice, and

warned the tax collection authorities to rid themselves of their

past corrupt habits.

* "We as a nation need to show discipline on the roads and the

offices. He also said that he would bring forward a proposal to

reduce the number of public holidays."

* "I pray that this period of difficulty will be short."

* "Our Armed Forces are ready to face the enemy. Our nuclear

scientists are also ready to face any eventuality. The Pakistani

nation congratulates them."

* "I will speak to you again in a few days with a comprehensive

package."

* "We will from now on only ask for help from Allah."

* "Pakistan Paindabad".

The speech concluded with the national anthem at 18:42 PST. Pakistan

Television is now telecasting patriotic songs.

The complete text of the PM's speech will be posted at this site as

soon as it is available.

Updates Concluded.

Updated: 18:45 PST

Top of Page