Invention of the white race

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Thu May 28 18:37:16 PDT 1998

> Justin, do you really agree with James's statement that, "Rather, the
> history of race and racism is more discontinuous that continuous, and the
> white/black counterposition that seems today to be the exemplar of race,
> did not feature prominently in the politics of race in the
> Northern states in the early part of the century."

In my previous post this was one of the formulations with which I differed.

What I liked about James' analysis was the way he tied in the Democratic Party with the whitening of the ethnics; he might have counterpoised this to the role of the early 19th C Whigs and Republicans in whitening the working class in that era.

--jks