pak nukes...Now. General Query on CFR

nurev at Kreative.net nurev at Kreative.net
Thu May 28 10:36:13 PDT 1998

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Jorday writes:
>
> > One thing to remember about the CFR crowd is that they are *wildly*
> > divided on the issue of nuclear weapons. Some believe no one should
> > have them, some believe that only "we" should have them. Some
> > believe they should be used :-) ...
> >
> > Interestingly, Morton Halperin, their top nuclear dog, thinks that
> > ABM is _not_ an effective strategy against 'rogue states' -- but
> > rather argues that the US should, as a statement of policy, not
> > tolerate the development of an ICBM program (including threat of
> > pre-emptive strike to destroy any such development facility) by
> > anyone who doesn't already have one.
>
> My knowledge of the CFR is limited, consisting mostly of bits and pieces
> picked up about it here and there. This part of Jordan's post interested
> me for that reason. More discussion of the Council on this list could be
> valuable.
>
> Carrol

Hi Carrol,

How is this for a start?

THE ROUND TABLE GROUPS --

After the death of Cecil Rhodes in 1902, Lord Milner became one of the

executors of Rhodes' trust. He organized " discreet " discussion /

study / work groups known as the Round Table Groups throughout the

Empire, including America. On May 30, 1919 members of different national

delegations to the Paris Peace Conference met at the Hotel Majestic to

discuss setting up an international group which would advise their

respective governments on international affairs.

The planning delegations decided upon creating separate organizations

cooperating with each other. They organized the Council on Foreign

Relations ( Harrold Pratt House on East 68th Street in New York City.

In 1922, it began publishing it's official mouthpiece, Foreign Affairs

Magazine - http://www.foreignaffairs.org), and a sister organization,

the Royal Institute of International Affairs, in London, also known as

the Chatham House Study Group, to advise the British Government. A

subsidiary organization, the Institute of Pacific Relations, was set up

to deal with Far Eastern Affairs.

Founding members of the Council on Foreign Relations included: "Colonel" Edward Mandell House, advisor to President Wilson. Christian Herter, later Secretary of State, Eisenhower administration. Averell Harriman, Railroads, Wall Street, U.S. Ambassador. Paul Warburg, German Jewish banker, helped found the Federal Reserve. Walter Lippmann, syndicated columnist. John Foster Dulles, later Secretary of State, Eisenhower administration. Allen Dulles, Director of CIA, Eisenhower administration. J.P. Morgan Jr., banking, finance. John D. Rockefeller, oil, banking. Bernard Baruch, banking.

Other internationalist " private and discreet " groups of selfless

caring royalty, aristocrats, bankers, politicians, diplomats and

corporate CEOs are: The ( infamous, among conspiracy theorists ) Bilder-

bergers, the Institut des Relations Internationales of Belgium, the Danish Foriegn Policy Society, Indian Institute of International Affairs ( IIIA ), the Australian Institute of International Affairs ( AIIA ), the Canadian Institute of International Affairs ( CIIA ), New Zealand ( NZIIA ), Netherlands ( NIIA ), South Africa ( SAIIA ), Japan Institute of Pacific Relations ( JIPR ), China ( CIPR ), Russia ( RIPR ).

"The New York branch was dominated by associates of the Morgan

Bank. For example, in 1928 the Council on Foreign Relations had John

W. Davis as president, Paul Cravath as vice president, and a council

of thirteen others, which included Owen D. Young, Russel Leffingwell,

Norman Davis, Allen Dulles, George Wickersham, Frank L. Polk, Whitney

Sheperdson, Isaiah Bowman, Stephan P. Duggan, and Otto Khan."

(Quigley)

These men had economic and cultural ties to the British state and

aristocracy. That they were Anglophile is obvious, but they were also

Internationalists and admiring of European culture. They were (are)

Episcopalian and highly urbane. They were (are) the models for the old

"high society" characters epitomized by William Powell in the movies.

These people came to dominate the most important institutions in

our society. They were powerful Wall Street lawyers like the Dulles

brothers, who looked after the foreign investments of their super

rich clients. Especially their investments in Europe, and more

especially their investments in German corporations, which in the 1930s

began building Hitler's new war machine.

At first with the backing of the Morgan Bank, and later with the

Rockefeller Banks ( Chase Manhattan, and First National City Bank,

now called Citicorp ) the CFR had a healthy start in life. It was and

continues to be nourished by the giant tax averting foundations of

the super rich, and direct donations from the Fortune 500 channeled

through as member fees.

QUO WARRANTO --

I strongly emphasize at this point, that these rich men had no

authority from the Constitution, or any other authorizing legal

document to create these organizations of control and / or

influence over our so called democratic political system.

They did it because they could subvert and corrupt ANY political

system with their enormous and often ill-gotten wealth. They did

it to make certain that strong nation state governments would NEVER

allow changes in the economic system that made them rich. And

they would use the strong nation state's military power to extend

their markets, steal other nations' resources, and defend their

private properties and Corporations from internal and external threat.

- J2

THE COUNCIL -- Excerpts from - Who Rules America Now by G. William Domhoff

- The largest and best known of the (3) policy organizations is the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR). Founded by bankers, lawyers, and academicians who were fully cognizant of the larger role the United States would play in world affairs after WWI, the council's importance in the conduct of world affairs was well established by the 1930s. The council had about 1800 members (in 1983), half from the New York area, half from the rest of the country. Before 1970 the members were primarily financiers, executives, and lawyers, with a strong minority of journalists, academic experts, and government officials. Since that time there has been an effort to include a larger number of government officials, including foreign - service officers, politicians and staff members of congressional comities concerned with foreign policy.

- Historical case studies suggest that study groups at the CFR have been at the heart of many foreign policy initiatives. For example, council groups called the War-Peace Study Groups met from 1940 to 1945 in order to develop plans for after WWII. ( Remember, we didn't get into WWII until Dec. 7, 1941 - J2 ) They had a major influence in creating the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, and the UN. A series of study groups in the 1940s and 1950s helped to establish the consensus wisdom that it was necessary to defend South Vietnam at all costs. Large foundation grants in the early 1960s led to study groups that reconsidered US policy toward China, concluding that the policy must be changed to allow for recognition of its communist government and eventual trade relations. --- G.W.D. ---

"The Council on Foreign Relations, another member of the international complex, financed by the Rockefeller and Carnegie Foundations, overwhelmingly propagandizes the globalist concept. This organization became virtually an agency of the government when World War II broke out. The Rockefeller Foundation had started and financed certain studies known as The War and Peace Studies,manned largely by associates of the Council; the State Department, in due course, took these Studies over, retaining the major personnel which the Council on Foreign Relations had supplied."

--Rene A. Wormser,Chief Counsel to the Reece Committee,

and author of "Foundations."

The folowing lists are dated, but the reader will get the point.

President of the United States of America William Clinton -- CFR, TC, BB Asst. Sec. for Administration, United Nations Dick Thornburgh -- CFR National Security Advisor Anthony Lake -- CFR Vice President of the United States of America Albert Gore, Jr. -- CFR Secretary Of State Warren Christopher -- CFR Secretary Of Defense Les Aspin -- CFR Chairman Joint Chiefs Of Staff Colin L. Powell -- CFR Director Central Intelligence Agency James Woolsey -- CFR Chairman, Council of Economics Advisors Laura Tyson -- CFR Treasury Secretary Lloyd Bentsen -- Former CFR, BB Secretary of Interior Bruce Babbitt -- CFR Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Henry Cisneros -- CFR Secretary of Health & Human Services Donna Shalala -- CFR, TC

JUDICIARY: Sandra Day O'Connor, Assoc. Justice, U.S. Supreme Court -- CFR Steve G. Breyer, Chief Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, Boston -- CFR Ruth B. Ginsburg, U.S. Court Of Appeals, Wash., DC Circuit -- CFR Laurence H. Silberman, U.S. Court of Appeals, Wash., DC Circuit -- CFR

TREASURY DEPARTMENT: Roger Altman, Deputy Sec. -- CFR Robert R. Glauber, Under Sec., Finance -- CFR David C. Mulford, Under Sec., Intntl Affairs -- CFR Robert M. Bestani, Dep Asst Sec., Intntl. Monetary Affairs -- CFR J. French Hill, Dep. Asst. Sec., Corp Finance -- CFR John M. Niehuss, Dep. Asst. Sec., Intntl. Monetary Affairs -- CFR

OFFICE OF TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT: Joshua Lederberg, V. Chmn Adv. Counc. -- CFR John H. Gibbons, Director -- CFR Lewis M. Branscomb, Adv. Council -- CFR

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY: James M. Strock, Asst. Adm., Enforcement And Compliance -- CFR

AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION: Leonard H. Robinson, Jr., President -- CFR

WHITE HOUSE STAFF: George Stephanopoulos, Director, Communications -- CFR Willian J. Crowe, Chief Foreign Intelligence Advisory Bd. -- CFR Nancy Soderberg, Staff Director, National Secuity Council -- CFR Samuel R. Berger, Deputy Advisor, National Security -- CFR W. Bowman Cutter, Deputy Assistant, National Economic Council -- CFR

OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT & BUDGET: Alice Rivlin, Deputy Director -- CFR

EXPORT-IMPORT BANK: John D. Macomber, President & Chairman -- CFR Eugene K. Lawson, 1st VP & Vice Chairman -- CFR Rita M. Rodriguez, Director -- CFR Hart Fessenden, General Council -- CFR

OFFICE OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY: William R. Graham, Jr., Science Advisor to President & Director -- CFR LIBRARY OF CONGRESS: James H. Billington, Librarian, Chmn. Trust Fund Board -- CFR Ruth Ann Stewart, Asst. Librarian National Programs -- CFR

NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION: Frank H. T. Rhodes, Bd. Of Directors -- CFR James B. Holderman, Bd. Of Directors -- CFR D. Allen Bromley, Bd. Of Directors -- CFR

U.S. ARMS CONTROL & DISARMAMENT AGENCY: Thomas Graham, Jr., General Council -- CFR William Schneier, Chmn., General Advisory Council -- CFR Richard Burt, Negotiator On Strategic Defense Arms -- CFR David Smith, Negotiator, Defense & Space -- CFR

DEPARTMENT OF STATE: Madeleine Albright, UN Amabassador -- CFR Clifton Wharton, Jr., Deputy Sec. -- CFR Lynn Davis, Under Sec. for International Security Affairs -- CFR, TC Brandon H. Grove, Dir. of Foreign Service Institute -- CFR H. Allen Holms, Asst. Sec., Bureau Of Politico-Military Affairs -- CFR John H. Kelly, Asst. Sec., Near East-South Asian Affairs -- CFR Alexander F. Watson, Deputy Rep., United Nations -- CFR Jonathan Moore, UN Mission -- CFR Joseph Verner Reed, Chief of Protocol -- CFR Dennis B. Ross, Director, Policy Planning Staff -- CFR Edward Perkins, Dir. of Personnel -- CFR Abraham David Sofaer, Legal Advisor -- CFR Peter Tanoff, Under Sec. for Political Affairs -- CFR, TC Brian Atwood, Under Sec. For Management -- CFR Joan E. Spero, Under Sec. Eco. & Ag. Affairs -- CFR George E. Moose, Asst. Sec. African Affairs -- CFR Winston Lord, Asst. Sec., East Asian & Pacific Affairs -- CFR, TC Stephen A. Oxman, Asst. Sec., European Affairs -- CFR Timothy E. Wirth, Counselor -- CFR

DEPARTMENT OF STATE -- AMBASSADORS: Strobe Talbott (Special Advisor For CIS) -- CFR Thomas R. Pickering (Russia) -- CFR Morton I. Abramowitz (Turkey) -- CFR Michael H. Armacost (Japan) -- CFR Shirly Temple Black (Czechoslovakia) -- CFR Julia Chang Bloch (Nepal) -- CFR Henry E. Catto, Jr. (Great Britain) -- CFR Frances Cook (Camaroon) -- CFR Edward P. Djerejian (Syria) -- CFR Geoge E. Moose (Senegal) -- CFR John D. Negroponte (Mexico) -- CFR Edward N. Ney (Canada) -- CFR Robert B. Oakley (Pakistan) -- CFR Robert H. Pelletreau, Jr. (Tunisia) -- CFR Christopher H. Phillips (Brunei) -- CFR Nicholas Platt (Phillipines) -- CFR James W. Spain (Maldives & Sri Lanka) -- CFR Terence A. Todman (Argentina) -- CFR Frank G. Wisner II (Egypt) -- CFR Warren Zimmerman (Yugoslavia) -- CFR

UNITED STATES CONGRESS -- SENATORS: David L. Boren (D-OK) -- CFR William Bradley (D-NJ) -- CFR John H. Chafee (R-RI) -- CFR, TC William S. Cohen (R-ME) -- CFR, TC Christopher J. Dodd (D-CT) -- CFR Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) -- TC Bob Graham (D-FL) -- CFR Joseph I. Lieberman (D-CT) -- CFR George J. Mitchell (D-ME) -- CFR Claiborne Pell (D-RI) -- CFR Larry Pressler (R-SD) -- CFR Charles S. Robb (D-VA) -- CFR, TC John D. Rockefeller, IV (D-WV) -- CFR, TC William Roth, Jr. (R-DE) -- CFR, TC

UNITED STATES CONGRESS -- REPRESENTATIVES: Howard L. Berman (D-CA) -- CFR Thomas S. Foley (D-WA) -- CFR Sam Gejdenson (D-CT) -- CFR Richard A. Gephardt (D-MO) -- CFR Newton L. Gingrich (R-GA) -- CFR Lee H. Hamilton (D-IN) -- TC Amory Houghton, Jr. (R-NY) -- CFR Nancy Lee Johnson (R-CT) -- CFR Jim Leach (R-IA) -- TC John Lewis (D-GA) -- CFR Robert T. Matsui (D-CA) -- CFR Dave K. Mccurdy (D-OK) -- CFR Eleanor Homes Norton (D-DC) -- CFR Thomas El Petri (R-WI) -- CFR Charles B. Rangel (D-NY) -- TC Carlos A. Romero-Barcelo (D-PR) -- CFR Patricia Schroeder (D-CO) -- CFR Peter Smith (R-VT) -- CFR Olympia J. Snow (R-ME) -- CFR John M. Spratt (D-SC) -- CFR Louis Stokes (D-OH) -- CFR

FEDERAL RESERVE SYSTEM (PAST & PRESENT - PARTIAL LIST): Alan Greenspan, ChairmaN -- CFR, TC E. Gerald Corrigan, V. Chmn./Pres. NY Fed. Res. Bank -- CFR Richard N. Cooper, Chmn. Boston Fed. Res. Bank -- CFR Sam Y. Cross, Manager, Foreign Open Market Acct. -- CFR Robert F. Erburu, Chmn. San Francisco Fed. Res. Bank -- CFR Robert P. Forrestal, Pres. Atlanta Fed. Res. Bank -- CFR Bobby R. Inman, Chmn., Dallas Fed. Res. Bank -- CFR, TC Robert H. Knight, Esq. -- CFR Steven Muller -- CFR John R. Opel -- CFR Anthony M. Solomon -- CFR, TC Edwin M. Truman, Staff Dir. International Finance -- CFR Cyrus R. Vance -- CFR Paul Volcker -- CFR, TC

Securities & Exchange Commission: Michael D. Mann, Dir. International Affairs -- CFR

TOP OF THE PYRAMID: [1992]

David Rockefeller, Chairman Emeritus Peter G. Peterson, Chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations 58 E. 68th St. New York, NY 10021 Phone (212) 734-0400 Fax (212) 861-1789

Paul Volker, North American Chairman of the Trilateral Commission 345 E. 46 St. New York, NY 10017 Phone (212) 661-1180

These are the most powerful positions in the world. If they were all occupied by members of the Pipe Fitters Union you would wonder about what might be going on here. If they were all Black you'd really worry about ulterior motives. If they were all Jews, well ....

NATIONAL POLICY DECISIONS ORIGINATING IN THE CFR ( partial ) --

- U.S. entry into WWII.

- Determining U.S. world area of interest.

- Dropping of the Atom Bomb.

- Marshal Plan

- Use of Nazi criminals in the formation of the CIA.

- United Nations

- International Monetary Fund

- World Bank

- NATO

- U.S. involvement in Vietnam.

- Ending the Vietnam War.

- Cuban missle crisis.

- Overthrow of Guatamala.

- Overthrow of Iran's democratically elected government in the 50's.

- The Cold War

- Overthrow of the Allende Regime in Chile.

- Disarmement

- Support of Aparthied South Africa

- Israel / Egypt peace accords.

- NAFTA /GATT / WTO/ MAI

- Gulf War

- Overthrow of Noriega, and the retaking of the Panama Canal.

- Oslo peace accords ( another CFR failure in progress - J2 )

- The new revised Mid-East peace plan called the DOP

or declaration of principles.

- Reduction of US national sovereignty to accommodate international

institutions serving Multinational Enterprises.

All paid for with US tax money.

WHAT THEY HAVE IN COMMON --

- They are rich by middle class standards.

- They are influential in the society at large.

- They are all Corporate Capitalists (as opposed to small business

Capitalists).

- They benefit handsomely from the status quo.

- They are Upper Middle to Upper Class socially, despite humble

beginnings for some.

- They are striving to reorganize the world community into Trading

Blocks, WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED. EVEN IN THE

"DEMOCRATIC" NATIONS.

- Their justification is the claim that this will bring world

peace, despite a dismal record of failure, and a history of starting

wars and destabilizing Sovereign States to advantage multinational

corporations which they own.

- For the first time in history it is technologically possible to

establish a world wide system of communication capable of global

organization. They are organizing the worlds economies in a manner

which will keep them in control in order to exploit the resources and

labor of ALL nations, not just the third world.

- This process is antithetical to democracy, but the illusion of

democracy is required where possible to prevent insurrection. Where

" democracy " doesn't work, dictatorial puppet governments are

installed and maintained as long as they serve MULTINATIONAL

CORPORATE INTERESTS. These are described

by the media as NATIONAL INTERESTS, and defined by the groups

under discussion here, and then disseminated through the mass

media for public consumption.

THE ESTEEMED CORPORATE PRESS --

CBS: Laurence A. Tisch, CEO -- CFR NBC/RCA: John F. Welch, CEO -- CFR Lester Crystal -- CFR, TC R.W. Sonnenfeidt -- CFR, TC

Associated Press: Stanley Swinton -- CFR Harold Anderson -- CFR Katharine Graham -- CFR, TC

Reuters: Michael Posner -- CFR

Baltimore Sun: Henry Trewhitt -- CFR

Washington Times: Arnaud De Borchgrave -- CFR

Children's TV Workshop (Sesame Street): Joan Ganz Cooney, Pres. -- CFR

Cable News Network: W. Thomas Johnson, Pres. -- TC Daniel Schorr -- CFR

U.S. News & World Report: David Gergen -- TC

New York Times Co.: Richard Gelb -- CFR William Scranton -- CFR, TC John F. Akers, Dir. -- CFR Louis V. Gerstner, Jr., Dir. -- CFR George B. Munroe, Dir. -- CFR Donald M. Stewart, Dir. -- CFR Cyrus R. Vance, Dir. -- CFR A.M. Rosenthal -- CFR Seymour Topping -- CFR James Greenfield -- CFR Max Frankel -- CFR Jack Rosenthal -- CFR John Oakes -- CFR Harrison Salisbury -- CFR H.L. Smith -- CFR Steven Rattner -- CFR Richard Burt -- CFR Flora Lewis -- CFR

Time, Inc.: Ralph Davidson -- CFR Donal M. Wilson -- CFR Henry Grunwald -- CFR Alexander Heard -- CFR Sol Linowitz -- CFR Thomas Watson, Jr. -- CFR Strobe Talbott -- CFR Newsweek/Washington Post: Katharine Graham -- CFR N. Deb. Katzenbach -- CFR Robert Christopher -- CFR Osborne Elliot -- CFR Phillip Geyelin -- CFR Murry Marder -- CFR Maynard Parker -- CFR George Will -- CFR, TC Robert Kaiser -- CFR Meg Greenfield -- CFR Walter Pincus -- CFR Murray Gart -- CFR Peter Osnos -- CFR Don Oberdorfer -- CFR

Dow Jones & Co (Wall Street Journal): Richard Wood -- CFR Robert Bartley -- CFR, TC Karen House -- CFR

National Review: Wm. F. Buckley, Jr. -- CFR

Readers Digest: George V. Grune, CEO -- CFR William G. Bowen, Dir. -- CFR

Syndicated Columnists: Geogia Anne Geyer -- CFR Ben J. Wattenberg -- CFR

Other CFR or TC Media Personalities ( who have changed employers ): David Gergen Ted Koppel Diane Sawyer Barbara Walters John Scali Robert McNeil Jim Lehrer Charlene Hunter-Gault Hodding Carter Daniel Schorr Bill Moyers Dan Rather Richard C. Hottelet Tom Brokaw David Brinkley John Chancelor Marvin Kalb Irving R. Levine Harry Reasoner William S. Paley Charles C. Collingwood William F. Buckley George Will Meg Greenfield

WASHINGTON POST ( partial ) Katharine Graham Arjay Miller Nicholas deB. Katzenbach Walter Pincus A.Hays Sulzberger

REVOLVING DOORS--

Donald Baer: Director of White House speechwriting and research, 1994-; U.S. News & World Report Asst. Managing Editor, 1991-94; Senior Ed.,1988-91

Douglas Bennet: Assistant Secretary of State for intergovernmental orgs., 1993-; President of National Public Radio (NPR), 1983-93

Carolyn Curiel: White House speechwriter, 1993-; Nightline producer, 1992; New York Times editor, 1988-92; Washington Post editor, 1986-88

David French: Deputy Director for Communications, CIA, 1993-; CNN weekend Washington anchor and reporter, early 1980s-1993

Rick Inderfurth: Deputy to UN Ambassador Madeleine Albright, 1993-; ABC News reporter, 1981-1991 (Pentagon, national security, Moscow) [Inderfurth has now been nominated Assistant Secretary of State for South Asian Affairs.]

Thomas Ross: Special Asst. to the President and Senior Director for Public Affairs at the National Security Council (NSC), 1994-; Senior Vice President, NBC News, 1986-89

Tara Sonenshine: Special Asst. to the President and Dep. Director for communications, National Security Council, 1994 Editorial Producer, ABC News Nightline, 1991-94; D.C. bureau producer, '82-89. [She since left the NSC to be a reporter in Newsweek's Washington bureau, then earlier this year she jumped back to the NSC.]

Carl Stern: Director of Public Affairs, Justice Dept, 1993-; NBC News Washington reporter, 1967-93 (legal affairs and Supreme Court) [Stern left the Justice Dept. late last year.]

Strobe Talbott: Deputy Secretary of State, 1994-; Ambassador-at-Large to the former Soviet Republics, 1993-94; Time Editor-at-Large 1989-92; Time Washington Bureau Chief 1985-89

HOW MANY STORIES HAVE ANY OF THESE PEOPLE DONE ON THE MOST INFLUENTIAL PRIVATE POLICY GROUP IN THE UNITED STATES ???

CFR meetings are usually held in secret and are restricted to

members and very select guests. All members are free to express

themselves at meetings unrestrained, because the Non-

Attribution Rule guarantees that "others will not attribute

or characterize their statements in public media forums or

knowingly transmit them to persons who will.

-- Council on Foreign Relations' 1992 Annual Report.

"We are grateful to The Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject to the bright lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto determination practiced in past centuries."

David Rockefeller, founder of the Trilateral Commission, in an address before that organization in June of 1991

I hope this wasn't too much.

Joshua2

******************************************************************* "The wealthiest 358 individuals in the world, all of them billionaires, collectively own as much wealth as 45% of humanity."

-- The United Nations Development Program Report '96 -- *******************************************************************