Wellstone

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu May 28 20:42:37 PDT 1998

> On Wed, 27 May 1998, Max Sawicky wrote:
> >
> > What burns my biscuits is that when pols
> > routinely betray the working class on economic
> > issues but retain some bona fides by being
> > pro-choice, pro-affirmative action, etc., but
> > when a guy like the former gov of Pennsylvania
> > whose name escapes me pulls a reversal of this,
> > he's persona non grata with all the boojie
> > liberals. Couldn't even speak at the convention.
> > But Ed Koch could speak.
> >
> > MBS
>
> That would be Casey. He was a worker's friend? Didn't know that. I
> do know he was very conservative socially and not just on abortion.

Right. I'm not making him out to be anything special necessarily, but he was reputed to be pretty liberal on economic issues. Just when I was getting interested in him (he made noises about contesting Clinton in the primaries), he disappeared, so it might have been hot air; I can't say.

Could have been a fun campaign, helping someone lambaste Clinton for his economic policy inadequacies in "the good years" (sic).

MBS