abortion litmus test

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Thu May 28 22:45:08 PDT 1998

Why is it wrong to insist that a Democratic politician be pro-choice? It seems to me that that's the minimum bottom line one could have. I would NEVER vote for a politician that wanted to criminalize abortion. That would be like saying I do not value my own daughter's life. I don't think a politician can propose to deprive 52% of the population of the basic ability to decide how many children to have, and when to have them, and also claim to stand for the people.

However, there is still a considerable streak of anti-choice "populism" in the Democratic Party. David Bonior is anti-choice, Gephart is lukewarm. then there's ex-Boston mayor and envoy to the Vatican Raymond flynn. I believe it was jesse jackson who said, memorably, that a girl who was old enough to open her legs to get pregnant was old enough to open them again to have a baby. But he saw where his allies were and changed his tune.