abortion litmus test

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Fri May 29 08:18:12 PDT 1998

The topic of abortion has been debated at length several times on the various marxism lists, going back to marxism-1 several years ago. Perhaps it needs to be returned to constantly. It seems perfectly reasonable to make the absolute right to unhassled abortion a litmus test for "progressive." While in an individualist social order such as late captialism all combinations are possible, even probable (there probably somewhere exists an African-American who is white supremacist, believes in UFOs, and regards *What Is To Be Done* as his/her bible), I prefer to take the position that the combination of anti-abortion and progressive politics is not possible. To be anti-abortion, regardless of other positions, is reactionary. (This is one of the reasons I am only partly sold on Louis Proyect's conception of the Party as insisting only on unity of practice, not theory. I have a hard time regarding a "Right-to-Lifer as a dependable comrade.)

The most usual progressive wobble on this issue is first to insist on one's commitment to "freedom of choice" for women, and then to babble on about how abortion is a "serious" moral choice: i.e. to put incredible social/moral pressure on women -- a pressure that works all too often on young women. The line of division is, "Is the fetus a human being?" If one answers "no," then the only relevant considerations are the woman's own conceptions of purely personal self-interest; no moral question exists. If one answers "Yes," then the position becomes hopelessly incoherent (even for pro-lifers, since their position does not allow them to differentiate between adult humans and unspent sperm.

Abortion is no more a moral decision than is deciding on whether to have a mole removed. I find this a perfectly acceptable litmus test for any capitalist politican -- or any progressive activist.

(This does not mean, of course, that I would not -- I have many times -- work with even pro-lifers in coalitions to (for example) stop the Gulf War. Also, as many of us who campaigned for Jackson recognized even at the time, Jackson's wobble on abortion was an indication of his essential opportunism.)

Carrol