abortion litmus test

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 29 21:56:36 PDT 1998

Carrol wrote:
>The most usual progressive wobble on this issue is first to insist on
>one's commitment to "freedom of choice" for women, and then to babble on
>about how abortion is a "serious" moral choice: i.e. to put incredible
>social/moral pressure on women -- a pressure that works all too often on
>young women. The line of division is, "Is the fetus a human being?" If
>one answers "no," then the only relevant considerations are the woman's
>own conceptions of purely personal self-interest; no moral question
>exists. If one answers "Yes," then the position becomes hopelessly
>incoherent (even for pro-lifers, since their position does not allow them
>to differentiate between adult humans and unspent sperm.

I think that most people who 'insist on one's commitment to "freedom of choice" for women, and then to babble on about how abortion is a "serious" moral choice' are basically elitist, though probably they don't know that they are.

They feel fine about having a 'freedom of choice' for themselves, luxury of abstractly dwelling on 'morality,' etc., and financial security to get abortion when the all-important 'moral decision' is finally made; they are too elitist to consider the fact that their stance mainly compromises other people's (mainly poor and/or young women's) ability to choose, and not their own.

Yoshie