Reading USA Today

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Sun Nov 1 11:20:40 PST 1998

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Carrol Cox wrote:

> According to an article in the Business Section of the Chicago Tribune
> (Nov. 1), 70% of U.S. households are linked to cable. (Do *all* U.S.
> households have TV of any kind? The article -- concerned with another
> topic to which cable is relevant -- does not indicate whether it is
> dealing with *all* households or all households *with TV*.)

The last time I saw numbers, the penetration of TV was almost complete, 97 or 98 percent of households had a TV. 70% for cable (if "cable" includes satellite) seems about right to me. The question of whether they were reporting all homes or "TV" homes is irrelevant as they are almost coterminous groups.

The 46% number for PC's seems high. The last number I saw for internet access was more like 30% and a "PC" incapable of connecting to the 'net is not much of "PC". Do they include the Apple II's people have in their basements in that figure? What about those old Pong machines in the closet?

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com