Brazilian "austerity" package

R.Magellan magellan at netrio.com.br
Mon Nov 2 06:02:19 PST 1998

Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 18:26:39 -0500 From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Brazil

Can our Brazilian correpondents report on what's happening with the politics of the IMF austerity package?

Doug

>From my part, only after November 16th, as I already noticed. For the time
being, the official truth may be read (in English) at the site of the Finance Ministry:

http://www.fazenda.gov.br/ingles/welc.html

(I hope that they have already updated the English version of the site)

The so called "austerity" package (SAPs are so puritanical !) is going to meet a strong opposition, both from the left wing parties and the civil society as a whole, as well as from some sectors of the right wing camp.

Best regards, Roberto