Time to bulldoze the Jefferson Memorial?

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Tue Nov 3 06:32:13 PST 1998

Re Paul's: "This whole discussion of Jefferson seems to me to smack of presentism. We can't judge Jefferson's thoughts and actions by present day standards, we have to judge him within the context of his day."

I will not yield one centimeter on my assertion that Jefferson was an utter fraud and a scoundrel and deserves no place whatsoever in any leftist pantheon. But Paul raises an interesting question. Does anyone know how many of the signers of the Declaration of Independence owned slaves? What were the views of, say, John Adams on the morality of slavery?

Carl Remick