Womb Envy

Tue Nov 3 08:00:45 PST 1998

I have been studying Frankenstein lately and had the same thought. There's the same message for cloning.

Shelley's mother was, of course, a famous 18th Century feminist.

Charles Brown

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, pms wrote:

> >I saw a bit of a show on A&E Saturday that indicated that Mary Shelley
> >invented the concept of womb envy and that that was what the
> >Frankenstein story was about.
> >
> No kidding! I wonder if she just put forth the idea or if she actually
> used the phrase.
> Either way, the woman had some major garbanzas, didn't she. Bravo.

Well, I don't think she used the phrase, but womb envy is certainly one of the major themes of the novel, no? The scientist bringing forth new life through the power of his reason?

frances