Jesse The Balmy Wins in Minnesota

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Nov 4 12:51:55 PST 1998

> I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on the Minnesota
> gubernatorial election. . . .

As things stand, I couldn't be more pleased. Couldn't think of a better kick in the ass for the Democrats then for an outsider to steal a huge chunk of their constituency.

Jesse's positions are related on his web site, http://jesseventura.org. They have the type of diversity one might expect from an "amateur" in policy wonkery (an amateur who has made the big time, it must be noted, in one bound). I didn't scour the entire litany of items but noted a reflection of the general desire for good public services and lower taxes. He does take some surprisingly strong positions -- in favor of gay marriage; opposed to school vouchers, for instance.

What I'm curious about is who was backing him. His web site is fairly well-articulated, as these things go. Who are his gurus, and who financed his run, if anyone? He's personally well-off, but not I suspect so much so as to finance his own campaign to any great extent.

It also seems like a good time to wonder whether all the usual left breast-beating about the way the system is stacked against third parties is just a load of hooey. This guy certainly did not enjoy establishment support of any type. As Jerry Brown also noted a while back, you can get somewhere if you have the appeal to get a following. In the same vein, if money was so all-important, the Dems would have had their asses handed to them this time around. I suppose the realization of a democratic system is most painful to those whose political ambitions are most disproportionate to their actual political appeal.

Next shoe to drop: in bid to solidify his female constituency, Jesse announces his appointment of the Fabulous Moola as chief of staff.

MBS