Jesse The Balmy Wins in Minnesota

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Wed Nov 4 16:54:57 PST 1998

Ventura's campaign manager was Doug Friedline, a guy whose track record I am not familiar with apart from the fact that he managed the Senate campaign of another Minnesota RP candidate, Dean Barkley, in '96. More striking is the fact that his ads were done by Bill Hillsman, the guy who did the ads that garnered Wellstone all the attention during his first run for the Senate in 1990. Most of them featured a Jesse Ventura action figure a la GI Joe "standing up to" action figures who represented the major party folks. This probably fueled the sizeable youth vote behind Ventura, though I'm not sure whether this means they were voting *against* politics as usual or *for* action figures. As I said before, you really can't underestimate the absurdist dimension of this youth vote; they were offered a chance to flip the bird at the system, and they did so with glee.

The campaign money came from small donors, though I don't know how much he received in the end. I do know that his campaign had extraordinary trouble obtaining financing at all in the beginning. One campaign coordinator told me they were turned by 16 different banks before they finally wrangled a loan in mid-October.

---------- From: uswatl at ibm.net Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 1998 4:35 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Jesse The Balmy Wins in Minnesota

Dear Max,

I wonder if Rowdy Roddy Piper played any part---it seems I recall them being old pals.

Sincerely, Tom L.

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 3525 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19981104/2874607f/attachment.bin>