J. O'Connor on Chomsky

Barbara Laurence cns at cats.ucsc.edu
Wed Nov 4 16:57:29 PST 1998

I once read an article by Chomsky in a magazine in the dentist's office. He made a series of claims about Marxism, all of which were questionable. I wrote Chomsky (who I've met exactly once in the anti-war days), explaining why his claims were questionable. He wrote back: "I agree with everything you said in your letter and I wouldn't change a thing in my article." Well, how about that as a show stopper.

I've been looking for an account that links Chomsky's radical humanism in politics with his universal grammar and other scientific work. I guess that the former has something to do with the latter. Anyone know any discussion of this. Jim O'Connor