Jesse re-does Wall Street

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 6 09:29:58 PST 1998

[from TheStreet.com's story on the Securities Industry Assn's annual convention]

Jesse Jackson, the breakfast speaker, pitched to a skeptical audience the potential of expanding Wall Street's talent and capital into disenfranchised communities in the U.S., posing them as alternatives to emerging markets. "When we see people lining up in Russia or Indonesia, we assume there's something wrong with the system," he said. "When we see those same lines in Appalachia or Harlem, we assume there's something wrong with the people."

Jackson's Rainbow/Push Coalition is working to broaden Wall Street's reach into minority communities, likening it to Major League Baseball opening its doors for Jackie Robinson. But more than just attracting capital and some platitudes, Jackson said he was hoping to change a few minds.

"In this room, there are misplaced conservatives," said Jackson, scanning an audience that included Citigroup's (CCI:NYSE) Sandy Weill, Goldman Sachs' limited partner Roy Zuckerberg and other financial luminaries. "I want you to become Jesse Jackson Democrats."

Jackson's appearance highlighted the industry's diversity push, now in its second year.