pwog--poll of progressives

Michael Brun brun at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 6 10:15:53 PST 1998

The Nation Article by David Dyssegaard Kallick that Doug put on the list contains the following paragraph:

"There is one other important difference between core progressives and the general population: voting habits. Some 93 percent of the progressive sample say they voted in the 1996 election, compared with only 48 percent of eligible voters nationwide. This argues strongly for a strategy built around mobilizing core progressives, a strategy that could work especially well in low-turnout Democratic Party primaries."

I bring this case up because it keeps happening: a confusion of boosterism and logic. Or am I missing something here? Given the sample results, don't they buttress argument (Facts themselves never argue!) AGAINST "a strategy built around mobilizing core progressives...."? Since core progressives are already mobilized --93%-- why waste time on them?

Michael Brun