B&N purchases Ingram

K d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 7 04:58:13 PST 1998

Item#1

November 6, 1998

Dear Bookseller,

You have probably already read the news that Barnes & Noble, Inc., has

purchased the Ingram Book Company. You also probably know that Ingram is

the largest single supplier of books to ABA member bookstores, and that in

many ways, Barnes & Noble is our largest single competitor.=20

The best way to convey my personal opinion as well as that of the ABA about

this proposed acquisition is to present you with the Official ABA Statement:

he American Booksellers Association (ABA) considers the purchase of Ingram

Book Company by Barnes and Noble, Inc., to be a devastating development

that threatens the viability of competition in the book industry, and

limits the diversity and availability of books to consumers. The Board of

Directors of the ABA call on the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department

of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission to investigate the proposed

acquisition and to take prompt and decisive action to stop this blatantly

anti-competitive combination.

This acquisition, should it be allowed to take place, is just one more

example of the large scale corporate consolidation that has infiltrated

every corner of our culture. As the desire intensifies to increase bottom

line profits no matter what the other consequences, so does the

concentration of power in the book industry. Consumers are left with an

environment in which fewer and fewer people are deciding which books get

published, and ultimately, which books Americans can read and buy.

Barnes and Noble, a $3 billion company and the largest US book retailer,

recently entered into an alliance with the $14 billion media giant,

German-owned Bertelsmann AG. Ingram Book Company is the largest book

wholesaler in the United States, with over a billion dollars in sales to

independent bookstores and other competitors of Barnes & Noble. Now, with

Barnes & Noble=92s proposed acquisition of the billion dollar Ingram Book

Company, there can be little doubt that the book industry is falling prey

to the same anti-competitive ills that currently plague the computer

software and other industries. This deal would make independent bookstores

virtually dependent upon their largest competitor, one which the ABA

alleges in pending antitrust discrimination litigation in San Francisco has

had a long-standing, systematic strategy of driving independents out of

business to stifle competition.

While there are some smaller, unaffiliated book wholesalers that provide

independent booksellers with excellent service, Ingram Book Company is a

primary distribution source for the vast majority of ABA member stores, and

we consider this development to be deeply troubling. We will use all of

our strength and available resources to fight it.

For stores who wish to help ABA oppose this proposed acquisition, we are

making available a letter for you to send to the Attorney General of the

United States and the Chairman of the Federal Trade Commission, demanding

that this acquisition be reviewed immediately for its obvious

anti-competitive effects. We encourage you to put this letter on your own

letterhead and under your own signature, and to provide ABA with a copy. In

addition, we are providing you with a press release for you to use with

your local media on our protest to the Government. Both documents are

available on the BookWeb (http://www.bookweb.org/ingram). If you would

prefer a hard copy please send an email to Keva Mosher (keva at bookweb.org)

or call her at the ABA (800-637-0037, ext. 226).

While we are clearly outraged at this proposed acquisition, I do want to

urge you to temper your response. We are not suggesting, nor should you

suggest, that any store not do business with any particular company. As far

as we=92re concerned, it=92s business as usual unless and until something

happens to make that no loner possible.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at

richard at squarebooks.com, or call me at Square Books at 601-236-2262.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

Richard Howorth

President, American Booksellers Association