"K"'s comments on New Paltz and Education

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Sat Nov 7 12:15:47 PST 1998

There are definitely things that are wrong with the system. In particular, its tendency to try to set itself up as a "machine" for mass production, when in fact the production of trained intellect is a craft. But there are inconsistencies in the system. The property-rights isue over book lists and whatever is important, but the tendency towards adjuncting is somewhat counteracted by the fact that university administrations prize themselves on their ratio of full-time faculty, and use it as a recruiting tool. Everyone knows that adjuncting stinks as a system.

For my part, the main problem is the somatization of the student body, which appears to be incrmentally higher than the somatization of the general public as a whole. Regardless of whether we use the internet or whatever, we have to get people to read. It is the sine qua non, because the cognitive function of the brain literally depends on it. Watching some prof do his antics on a computer screen will be even less effective, I think, then having students rouse themselves to join a classroom. Hypermotivated people can always work in relatively isolated environments; there is little that can be done on the internet that wasn't already possible by filming professors and using the mails. But it is not an effective system. By which I mean, even less effective than the current system, which itself has egregious problems. B

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298