Gingrich

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Sat Nov 7 12:01:48 PST 1998

I find myself with Doug, it means that the hordes of reaction will reach into a bag and yank out another creep. I always worry. So even when someone awful goes down to defeat, I think, ah, now they will use this opportunity to reorganize and become even more effective. But face it, if you don't let yourself enjoy the crackup of a reactionary because you're afraid of the next reactionary, it means you will never get to enjoy the crackup of a reactionary. Prepare for the worst is always good, though ultimately dismal, advice. Don't forget to enjoy the moment.

More positive is the role played by labor in getting out the vote and the reappearance of the black vote, though I am confused by articles which put turnout at 36.6% on the low side. It would appear the composition of turnout changed more than the total number. In an anomic polity the least anomic consituency makes gains.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298