Why the Left Crys even When We Win (Re: Gingrich falls

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 7 12:52:40 PST 1998

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Newt lost not because Clinton has co-opted "the center."

No, because Clinton had co-opted the right! Killing Rickey Ray Rector wasn't very centrist. His crime and welfare stuff is a direct descendant of the Nixon/Phillips southern strategy.

>This repeats an endless debate, but Doug, do you argue that all these
>labor voters and black voters are just stupid for turning out to dump
>these Republicans?

Look Nathan, it's wonderful to see the Reps and the pundits humiliated and confused. It's wonderful to see Ken Starr rebuked, and Chris Matthews now doing shows on something other than Monica. But this is still the party of Clinton, Gore, and Gephardt we're talking about. If all those numbers & energy had found a better outlet, I'd be happier.

Doug