U.S. Weighs Extradition of Pinochet

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Sat Nov 7 13:11:57 PST 1998

In the Sat. 11/7 NYT there's an article that says Justice Department officials are discussing whether to seek the extradition of Pinochet.

"The move by the Justice Department 'could open up a can of worms' in secret United States Government files, a former senior American officer who served in Chile in the 1970's said. President Richard Nixon, his national security adviser, Henry A. Kissinger, and the C.I.A. were deeply involved in attempts to overthrow the elected Marxist President of Chile, Salvador Allende, before he was killed in General Pinochet's 1973 coup.

The C.I.A. was keenly aware of the murder and torture committed by the Pinochet regime, the retired American intelligence officer said."

Actually, Allende committed suicide, right? -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/19981107/1024fb94/attachment.htm>