Why the Left Crys even When We Win (Re: Gingrich falls

Sun Nov 8 06:38:31 PST 1998

>>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>>I think it's yet another manifestation of the depressing centrism of the
>>U.S. electorate
>
>The chief architect of the attempted destruction of the Medicare, Medicaid
>and Social Security system gets deposed due to the mass mobilization of
>labor unions, blacks and youth, and it is read as "depressing"?
>
>Newt lost not because Clinton has co-opted "the center." You snatch
>credit from the mass effort of tens of thousands of people who fought to
>dump Republicans across this country and thereby stunned the Republicans
>and media "experts."

Ummm...

Newt didn't lose.

Or, rather, Newt lost but the Republicans didn't.

The Committee chairs in the house will be the same next congress as they were in the one just past. And add the 20 southern-Democrats-who-are-really-Republicans to the Republican policy, and find that the Republicans have a solid working majority in the House (or would, if they could figure out what they wanted to do).

What we are all celebrating is that the Republicans didn't win as big as we had feared that they might. A Dunkirk, if you will. But nobody ever won anything by carrying out a successful evacuation.

Brad DeLong