Why the Left Crys even When We Win (Re: Gingrich falls

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Mon Nov 9 18:54:40 PST 1998

> despite the increase in black turnout, the Republican
> share of the black vote rose from 8% in 1994 to 11% in 1998. With Newt
> gone, the Reps could burnish their image with young-Bush-style
> "inclusiveness," and 2000 could be a whole different ballgame.
> Doug

re: above...Florida's governor-elect, Jeb Bush, received about 12% of the African-American vote last Tuesday...he received about 6% in 1984 when he lost a bid for that office...race would have been close had he duplicated the earlier effort...

FL Dems really have no one to blame but themselves for increased black vote for Rep candidate...Dem caucus in state House decided last December to strip Willie Logan, highest-ranking Dem member, of his speaker- designate position although likelihood that Dems would regain assembly this year was negligible...caucus claimed decision was made because Logan wasn't a good fundraiser and didn't have enough substantive statewide connections...this isn't even thinly veiled racism so the FL Dems deserve what they get...as for Logan, he and two other prominent black politicians in the state were featured prominently standing behind Bush during his victory speech...Michael Hoover