olive oil & biomass

Steve Grube grube at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 9 20:33:15 PST 1998

See my embedded comments shown by********* -S. Grube

*******one important point is which to use for cooking. . . .extra virigin and virgin shouldn't be used for cooking, especially frying since they have a very low smoke-point. Pure oil, which you refer to as regular grade, is actually meant for cooking. It's smoke point is ~425 F. The others are in the 200's. If you use virgin for cooking, you are just changing it into a pure oil *and* you've created some nasty byproducts that you don't want to ingest if you can avoid it (and you've spent a premium on the virgin).

******I had the pleasure of visiting the Olive Press in Glenn Ellen in Sonomacounty California and toured their facility. There was an in-depth opportunity to taste oils with an expert and sure enough, it is much like wine tasting. The virgin oils really do have a character to them you want to preserve for special dishes. But certainly you don't want to burn them up in cooking. -s.grube