Cockburn on slavery

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Tue Nov 10 10:59:09 PST 1998

Dear Mike,

I don't buy any of this bs about slavery being unprofitable. I guess that is why the southern states decided to split at the slightest hint that slavery should be abolished. Don't forget that westward expansion meant that more people could get in on slavery.

Another thing that people like to forget about is that the southern states were rapidly industrializing in the 20 years prior to the civil war. These were industries that relied primarily on slave labor, even in skilled positions. There are a couple of interesting studies of the iron and steel industry in the ante-bellum south that come to mind.