Hong Kong social land managment

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Nov 10 15:45:41 PST 1998

I have checked with my source. He says that although some leases lasted as long as 99 or 75 years, from the 1950's leases became shorter.

But the point is that even existing leases have to come before the auctions if there is to be a change of usage. This system picks up revenue for the government from property prices which rise with economic development, and puts the government* in a stronger position for further social urban planning.

Chris Burford London.

* For LP's continued shock, in this case a capitalist government. But not necessarily and not always.