Hong Kong social land managment

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 10 16:38:03 PST 1998

Christ Burford:

I apologize for jumping in at the middle of a continuing subject, but Enzo Michelangeli only rcently pointed me toward lbo-talk. The HK government, (the Crown before July 1, 1997, and now SAR,) derives most of its revenue from land leases: new, renewals, changes or intensification of use. With the exception of the British Labour years, the HK government did not do any social planning. Physical planning was carried out essentially to serve only economic development purposes. Witness the dire shortage of parks and the vast land reclamation for container terminals. During theThatcher/Reagan decade, HK benefitted from the social infrastructure put in place earlier by young Labourites who were often ideologically at odds, to a limited degree, with the Colonial Office. Thatcher built up HK's image as a free market mecca to please American ideology. Until Thatcher, British goods enjoyed unquestioned preference in HK. This new image required a heavy reliance on land revenue in lieu of taxes, and locked the government into the role of a culprit in support of runaway asset inflation.

Henry C.K. Liu