Cockburn on Slavery

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Thu Nov 12 12:14:39 PST 1998

Brett Knowlton wrote:

> Paul Rosenberg wrote (in regard to Apartheid in South Africa):
> >We should have simply invaded and overthrown the government.
>
> This is a frighteningly cavalier attitude, assuming you were being serious.

It was a cavalier expression, perhaps. In keeping with the context in this forum. The underlying attitude is quite another thing. We were willing to make ourselves military allies WITH South Africa, why shouldn't we have been making ourselves military allies AGAINST South Africa?

Of course, we all know that wouldn't have been necessary. A really serious economic blockade could have brought them to their knees quite swiftly.

> Do you think we should go around the globe, toppling all the bad guys?

I didn't say we should do it alone, old chap. But, yes, I think that sounds like a capital idea. South Africa's gone, so let's begin with Alan Greenspan!

But, seriously, you must realize that South Africa was at the time a unique case, incomparable to any other.

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"