Cockburn on Slavery

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 12 13:37:14 PST 1998

The situation in South Africa was not that simple. Although Apartheid was a major focus in certain progressive circles, other issues, such as the SA-Isreal connection re Mid-East politics, SA's anti-Communist role in Cold War geopolitics, the sourcing of strategic exotic materials and control of navigation around the Cape, were also significant factors. America did not need to invade South Africa - She had South Africa. America was not willing to push the Apartheid issue because of others factors (including the above mentioned). In a similar way, the Vietnam War was not fought to oppose religious oppression of Buddhists by the Catholic regime.

Without the Civil War, slavery would have continued to be constitutional legitimate and operationally legal in many states, although certain blatant human abuses might have been moderated to appease changing social behavioral norms to make slavery a structural part of the economy and a more benign institution. It one compares social attitude and debate on black slavery with those on the legalization of white slavery, a reasonable scenario might been constructed on what would have happen without the Civil War. Paul Henry Rosenberg wrote: