Cockburn on Slavery

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 12 16:38:02 PST 1998

Paul Henry Rosenberg wrote:

> We were
> willing to make ourselves military allies WITH South Africa, why
> shouldn't we have been making ourselves military allies AGAINST South
> Africa?

Who is this "we" who were somehow going to make such wonderful decisions.

The *only* recommendation principled marxists can make as to U.S. foreign policy (during the continuation of capitalism in the U.S.) is that we are against it. I recognize no "we" that could possibly implement a decent foreign policy under the present constitution (and the social forces which it embodies).

Incidentally, the best illustration I have seen in years of my continuing proposition that "the left" (as opposed to scattered leftists) does not exist is the fact that any other topics than opposing U.S. intervention and saving Mumia are currently being discussed on the various leftist and marxist lists.

Carrol