Why 90s were Great for Progressive Electoral Efforts

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Fri Nov 13 07:45:59 PST 1998

Max Sawicky wrote:

> > So do you think the Bushies were stupid in supporting the creation of
> > majofrity-minority districts?
>
> "Stupid" is much too strong. It's too close
> a call -- whether such a change benefits the
> GOP or the Dems.
> On one side you are creating safe seats which
> enable members to be more agressive and risk-
> taking in their positions and perhaps jog the
> inertial banality of the party, and on the other
> of course you are giving away some seats to the
> other side. I'm still ambivalent about it.

One of the main points Lani Guinier made in the writings that got her demonized was that proportional representation would foster inter-racial coalitions and help give a voice to whites who were comfortable voting for blacks. With PR, not only would this kind of trade-off be unnecessary, but it would create conditions in which the electorate could quite conceivably become more progressive, since it potentially rewards cross-racial politics, rather than wedge issues.

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"