Why 90s were Great for Progressive Electoral Efforts

Fri Nov 13 07:52:08 PST 1998

>> So do you think the Bushies were stupid in supporting the creation of
>> majofrity-minority districts?
>
>"Stupid" is much too strong. It's too close
>a call -- whether such a change benefits the
>GOP or the Dems.
>On one side you are creating safe seats which
>enable members to be more agressive and risk-
>taking in their positions and perhaps jog the
>inertial banality of the party, and on the other
>of course you are giving away some seats to the
>other side. I'm still ambivalent about it.

So that if you have a congressional majority of 50, it might well be worth shrinking it to 30 in order to gain 20 more safe left-wing voices in the Democratic congressional caucus. That makes a lot of sense.

But if your congressional majority is -11? It looks as though the Democrats got the worst of the bargain...

Brad DeLong