Why 90s were Great for Progressive Electoral Efforts

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Nov 13 14:37:04 PST 1998

> >other side. I'm still ambivalent about it.
>
> So that if you have a congressional majority of 50, it might well be worth
> shrinking it to 30 in order to gain 20 more safe left-wing voices in the
> Democratic congressional caucus. That makes a lot of sense.

I wish it were that easy. The trade-off may be more like three or four-for-one.

> But if your congressional majority is -11? It looks as though the
> Democrats got the worst of the bargain...

obviously -11 is not good. It seems unlikely that the new districts were a major factor in the changeover. I seldom hear it raised. There were many more seats lost than could be attributed to the practice, though possibly the number was higher than eleven.

There remains, aside from all of this, the (more?) basic issue of what is fair. I'm still resolutely ambivalent.

MBS