Why 90s were Great for Progressive Electoral Efforts

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 14 07:45:59 PST 1998

Max Sawicky wrote:

>To me the bigger problem, which the m-m districts may
>tend to reinforce, is the attenuation of a class-based
>view to a more limited alliance between minorities
>and economically conservative, socially-liberal
>suburbanites.
>
>We have a new release on our web site analyzing
>the polling data from the election which makes
>a case for a working-class orientation. As you
>know, pollsters like Mellman and his cronies
>tend to serve up prescriptions for appealing to
>a well-to-do middle class, at the expense of
>the white, non-well-to-do electorate.

Interesting the way the word "white" slips in that last line, Max! It deepens all those suspicions that those who would drop "cultural" and "racial" politics in favor of an allegedly "broad" economic populism really want all those troublesome folks and their issues just to shut up or get lost. Is there no black/Latino working class?

Doug