tobbacco/anti-Clintonism

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat Nov 14 00:00:55 PST 1998

At 02:33 PM 11/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>The analysis posted on this topic certainly makes
>sense. The one flaw is that the WSJ has been a big
>voice in the anti-Clinton New Southern Baptism for
>America campaign, and yet the same paper (I am talking
>about its official editorial positions) has not been
>very sympathetic to tobacco. Life would be more
>logical if the two forces could be knitted together.
>-gn
>
>--
>Gregory P. Nowell

I assume you are referring to my post Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:05:37 +0000 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com From: Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org> Subject: Capitalism and Clinton

This drew on two overviews by the Observer, which suggested that the anti-Clinton network was a group of heterogenous literally reactionary forces, with the biggest money, and most determined lobbying, coming from the tobacco capitalists.

I am just trying to absorb the point here though. I am sorry but I have never heard or seen the initials. WSJ is Wall Street Journal yes/no?

I cannot understand if so, why it would take an openly reactionary line, expecially on a regional and religious political issue. The FT (Financial Times) has a long consistent history of being a highly liberal paper in its editorial line. Partly I have always assumed because it thinks it unnecessary or inappropriate to attempt to campaign in the wider political arena. It concentrates on the most authoritative information for intelligent capitalists. It is confident as a virtual inhouse journal of the British capitalist class, that British understatement will be noticed and acted upon far more reliably than anything shrill.

So can I ask what are the political interests of the WSJ, what is its political line, and what is its style of discourse?

I would be interested in your comments, but I suppose I had better buy a copy today, and read an editorial for the first time.

And perhaps so we do not lose the thread title, some more detail about its position on tobacco from anyone?

Chris Burford

London.