Is Bombing Iraq "Inevitable"?

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Tue Nov 17 16:58:03 PST 1998

Re below: A good article on our warmongering media appears in the current Salon: "Pundits to Saddam: Your evil derrière is ours!" by James Poniewozik. Here's the URL: http://www.salonmagazine.com/media/

Carl Remick

-----Original Message----- From: Carl Remick [mailto:cremick at rlmnet.com] Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 1998 12:39 PM To: 'lbo-talk at lists.panix.com' Subject: Is Bombing Iraq "Inevitable"?

I find it curious that our latest near-war experience with Iraq has proceeded without any commentary at all on this list (unless I missed some posts). Is everyone here just bored with the topic? I for one find it disturbing that massive military action at *some* point is taken as a given. E.g., the following headline and lead are from today's NY Times: Allies See Iraq Bombing as Inevitable The United States, its allies and past defenders of Iraq said Monday that they did not expect President Saddam Hussein to cooperate with U.N. weapons inspectors, and that if he broke his promise it would set off a military response without a Security Council debate. [end of excerpt] The only obvious alternatives -- assassination or continued economic strictures that punish Iraqis in general without inconveniencing the elite -- aren't anything to cheer about, either, but don't mean wholesale slaughter. I would be very interested in hearing if people here could suggest other alternatives for dealing with Iraq. Carl Remick