Jeb! (Re: Why 90s were Great for Progressive Electoral Efforts)

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Nov 18 03:58:23 PST 1998

> Yeah, Jeb! did some pandering to the Cuban and Black communities, but what
> helped him most of all was a massive series of Dem fuckups
> frances
>
> On Sat, 14 Nov 1998 alexlocascio at juno.com wrote:
> > Looks like it's working, too. Just look at Jeb Bush' s recent victory in
> > Florida. Of course, Cubans have always been heavy Republican voters, so
> > one shouldn't really view them as representative of the Latino community
> > as a whole.

the Bush's like to make light of the fact that Jeb has a Latina (though I think they say Hispanic) wife...remember prez George's comment about loving the 'little brown ones' just as much as his white grandkids?

Jeb Bush received about 12% of the African-American vote in the recent election, he got only 6% when he lost 4 yrs ago...the key to this increase (without it the election would have been close in spite of the lackluster Dem McKay), was the Dem decision late last year to replace Willie Logan as their Speaker of the House designate...the likelihood that the Dems would actually regain control of the House in the recent election was minimal...Dems claimed that he wasn't a good fundraiser and had limited statewide connections, but the racism was evident... Logan took several other prominent black politicians with him into Bush's camp...they were prominently featured standing behind him on election nite as he gave his victory speech...Michael Hoover