Robert Brenner brenner at history.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 18 14:04:25 PST 1998

Dear lbo-listers,

Doug Henwood asked me to respond to criticisms and questions raised on the LBO List concerning my "Economics of Global Turbulence" (in NLR, no229, May-June 1998), and I am pleased to do so.

I will reply in two parts.

The first part responds to Doug Henwood's criticisms in "Crisis Update," LBO, no.85, 27 September 1998. Since this ended up way too long to post directly to the list, I decided simply to send it as an attachment, wordperfect for windows 7.0. I have sent it in that form to all the names/e-mail addresses that I could pick up from the list. Unfortunately, the list of names I collected is a pretty random one, and I've undoubtedly left out a lot of people, for which I am sorry. If anyone who does not receive my response to Doug wants it, please simply post or send me a message to that effect, and I'll be glad to send it along. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The second part, which I have yet to write, will try to respond to things that appeared on the list itself. I subscribed to the list roughly from late August to the end of September, so I think I have most things from that period. But after that, until a few days ago, I was off the list, and, for much of the time, out of the country. I doubt if there has been anything concerning my text in that period, but if there has been, I'd be grateful to have it forwarded to me. Sorry, again, for the trouble. Many thanks.

All best,

Robert