A query to Robert Brenner

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 18 15:56:20 PST 1998

Hullo, Robert. I haven't gotten around to your NLR article, but it is high up on my priority list. I went down to the Monthly Review for a brown bag the day after the stock market dipped 500 points in an apocalyptic mood. I demanded that they come up with something on the order of your NLR article at once. Harry shrugged his shoulders and said, "We don't have anybody who can do it." Then Bill Tabb turned to me and said, "Have you or anybody else read the article yet? I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those articles that everybody discusses, but nobody reads." At any rate, Doug has read it and so has Rakesh. While I generally like to quarrel with Rakesh, I think I line up with him against Doug on the general drift of your argument which is that capitalism is sailing off the end of the world.

My real question, however, is what you make of the Harry Shutt book, "The Trouble with Capitalism", which I have been touting to people like a Trotskyite would tout the Transitional Program. I think his logic and facts are very impressive. When I was discussing the Shutt book with an old pal, who used to edit the Militant years ago, he said that he had just finished your article and the way I described Shutt seemed very close to the spirit of your NLR article.

In general, what I like about Shutt is that he removes the discussion from a value theory problematic, a la Anwar Sheikh, and simply treats the slump of the past 20 years as a necessary contradiction of the aftermath of the WWII boom. The more I think about this, the more it seems that Marxism goes astray when it loses the historical dimension. Since you are not an economist, but a historian, I am wondering if this has had a salutory effect on your thinking.

Louis Proyect (http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html)