Review of Sokal & Bricmonts' _FASHIONABLE NONSENSE_ in NY Times Book Review

Doyle Saylor djsaylor at primenet.com
Thu Nov 19 07:33:50 PST 1998

Hello everyone,

SnitgrrRl writes Thursday, Nov, 19/98: However, I also think that it's altogether unfair to attack Jim at such length about this. His substative comments on S&B should be the focus, ultimately. And I do think that it's really stretching it to be concerned about the use of the word irrational as somehow implying mental illness.

SnitgrrRl

Doyle Do I seem to be attacking Jim? I don't want to hurt him. I want people who use the metaphor of disability as the "margin" to be aware of the content of their words. I am finished replying to Jim. He made it clear he chose his words consciously. For him, his words aren't negative, they just fairly and precisely characterize POMOs. To a certain extent this was a side issue of just raising consciousness. But I don't want him to feel attacked.

Doyle S & B is certainly the main content of what he wrote about. So? Am I supposed to follow a script? Haven't you felt like saying something tangental? Frances got on my case about this same sort of thing when I brought this disability as the metaphor for the margin up to Max. You know it is funny, but Max listened to me with respect, and he respectfully call me a builder of mountains out of molehills. I guess that is all I want is respect for my point of view. What is the harm. regards, Doyle