Original discussion of thread debate

K d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 21 04:23:47 PST 1998

>Likewise, with respect to you
>taking on the role of a Black person
>in a discussion about Blackness
>and racism. You are likely to miss
>something that most Black people would
>not. Not too many Black people would
>react the way you did to what I said.
>I am not saying that they would
>agree with me, but their response
>would be different.

I participated on the African Americans in Higher Education list for two years and I can honestly say that debate would have been much more rancorous and would have, of course, involved a lot more listers. There were some threads that went on for weeks. And, I'm not certain how whether or not I'm a Black woman or a woman of color or a white woman would make a difference as to *how* I responded. Please clarify this for me in some sort of concrete way. I really just can't figure out why you think you know who I am and why it's important.

That folks on this list get in a huff over a debate like this I find truly surprising given what's gone on in the past. In that sense, I suspect the intensity had much to do with our identities. Or, assumed identities anyway.

Snit