Fwd: American Bioethics Advisory Commission Demands...

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Sat Nov 21 14:50:06 PST 1998

Jim,

By and large I agree with your response to Marta. However it should be noted that the Catholic Church did not support the election of Hitler, even though he greatly admired the Jesuit Order and saw it as a model for his Gestapo and had his original base in highly Catholic Bavaria.

But in the election of 1932 he was opposed by the largely Catholic Center Party and did not do well in Catholic areas. His base, as I have noted before on this list, was in rural Protestant areas, at least in terms of voting support.

Of course it is also true that the Catholic Church did way too little to oppose Hitler's policies once he was in power. The Church's outrage about the disabled was indeed rather an isolated business. Barkley Rosser On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 22:37:37 -0500 James Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu