American Bioethics Advisory Commission Demands...

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Sat Nov 21 15:16:25 PST 1998

Although I had thought I would avoid this whole thread, I guess I am going to second Justin's response to Max's charge of "logical incoherence."

Earlier Max derided those who worry about "defining a person." But that really is what it is all about, isn't it? I must say that I see a lot of good reasons for drawing a very sharp line at birth, in addition to those listed by Justin. For one thing there is a theory held by more than a few religions that the soul enters the body at the time of birth, and in particular with the beginning of autonomous breathing. I note in this regard the link between the word spirit and words for breathing (inspiration, respiration, etc.). This is no accident.

Now, I do not necessarily buy into such arguments. But I would note, Max, that if you don't think birth is a major boundary, then you don't have much of a basis for drawing an earlier one. You suggest that during the third trimester there is "a baby in the womb." Well, why stop at the third trimester? Why isn't there "a baby in the womb" in the second trimester? What becomes the criterion for assigning rights? Survivability outside the womb? Existence of a brain? Evidence of reactions to stimuli in the womb? The lines on those things range from somewhere in the second trimester to well down into the first trimester. And, of course, we have the claim of the "pro-lifers" (still jack-booted in my book, at least some of them) that you've got to take it all the way back to conception.

Well, Max, the bottom line is that once you start making claims about the "rights of the unborn" you are on a slippery slope that has no clear end or boundary. I'll stick with giving the rights to the mother as long as the baby is still inside, even if only partially so. Barkley Rosser On Sat, 21 Nov 1998 09:22:07 EST JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu